Saturday, January 3, 2009

Eurotrip - Rome Part 1 - St. Peter's Basilica

After spending three months surrounded by the rich religious histories of Cairo and the Sinai, it was only natural that I continue my religious history tour of the world by taking my atheistic beliefs to Rome.

It was strange to see the difference between Italians outside and inside Rome. My impression in the countryside was that Italians were very homogeneous – not to be culturally insensitive, but they all pretty much looked like the stereotypical Italian. But inside Rome, it was completely different; it’s a bit strange to hear Asians speaking fluent Italian.

I dropped my stuff off at the hostel and after an hour or two, met up with my friend Amy, another Dutch friend from my Costa Rica trip. We went out to the Trastevere to eat pasta and then went out barhopping for a little while, but went to bed not too late because we had a huge day ahead of us.

On Saturday December 13, we awoke early for a massively ambitious whirlwind walking tour of Rome. Amy and I hopped on the metro over to Vatican City, in the Northwest part of Rome. I have a lot of pictures from all of the places we visited in Rome, so I’m just going to post them and explain them in the captions.


 
HDR of the main plaza in the Vatican


 
Outside St. Peter's Basilica


 
St. Peter's Basilica was our first stop. It was jaw-droppingly beautiful and one of the highlights of my whole trip. I didn't take that many pictures because I was in shock by how large and detailed it was, and I wanted to appreciate it through my eyes instead of through the lens. Definitely a must-see for anyone going to Rome.


 
Apparently you can fit the Statue of Liberty underneath the dome of St. Peter's Basilica, with plenty of space to spare.

No comments: