Monday, October 13, 2008

Nuweiba!

After the St. Catherine's experience, we were ready for the beach, so off we went to the Rock Sea Resort, on the Gulf of Aqaba.

The type of place where accepted formal dinner attire is no shirt, board shorts and flip flops, Rock Sea is run by a German couple (Michael and Carda) in their fifties who were given a once-in-a-lifetime offer and dove in headfirst.

In the mid-90s, they had traveled down and lived with the Bedouin in the eastern part of the Sinai for 6 months. A few years later, when the Bedouin came under economical and governmental pressure to sell off some of their land, they remembered the likable German family that had stayed with them. Michael got a phone call with an offer to buy a sizable chunk of land on the Gulf of Aqaba (the body of water between Sinai, Israel, Jordan and Saudi Arabia). The catch was that the offer was on the table for one day only. So the family accepted, packed up their life in Germany, and opened up a basic but comfortable beachside resort just north of the town of Nuweiba. 8 years later, the family is still running the same quirky resort.

In my four days there I spent a total of $55 for food, drink, lodging, and activities. I stayed in a hut 10 feet from the water.
 
This was my hut.


I snorkeled 5 times for a total of $3. I saw a swordfish, and fought a nasty piece of coral and lost. I repeatedly found Nemo (over and over and over again!) and tried to catch him each time, but to my chagrin, I could not. We even created a large Mancala board into the dirt and played many games.

 
Here is the mancala board.

 
Here is my fish dinner from the 2nd night.


 
And here is the water with good old Saudi Arabia in the background. Everybody wave!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: